Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

i have pain under my left rib cage radiating into my back.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 5 years ago.
any other medical problems or medications?
What does the pain feel like? Is it burning?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it started as a stabbing like pain in my back moving thru to my front, now it is mainly painful under my left rib cage, constant, dull throbbing pain. Not on any medications
how old are you?
Do you drink alcohol?
how long have you had this pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
53. I drink sometimes on the weekend. Pain started in back on Thursday and came to front on Saturday and now mainly in front.
does it seem like the pain wraps around on the skin or is inside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the inside. right under my rib cage.
well, this is likely to be stomach inflammation, since that is where the stomach is.This is called gastritis or you could have some reflux.
I would suggest taking some maalox or mylanta and seeing if this helps.
If you don't feel any better, then you may need to go to the ER to have labs done to make sure that you do not have inflammation of the pancreas.
Of course, if you have any chest pain or shortness of breath, black or bloody stool, fever or other concerning symptoms, then you need to go to the ER right away- call 911.

warm regards

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you found this helpful. It you need more clarification, just ask. It allows me to help people like you Laughing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
really. a dull throbbing pain like this that is constant could be gastritis?
it can be or it can be an ulcer.
I have seen people come to the ER who were very uncomfortable and improve dramatically with a GI cocktail (which is lidocaine and maalox).
try it- you can't do any harm. If it doesn't work, then you need to go to the ER..

warm regards