Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Why do I wake up sad sometimes? Crying for no immediate reason?

Why do I wake up sad sometimes? Crying for no immediate reason? I'm very spiritual and pray and read spiritual books every day. I'm 67 and lost my home to foreclosure and have lived alone for many years. I try to keep busy after looseing my job as a nurse and have multiple health problems including the burning mouth.
Can't go back to work until my mouth is better.
Katherine
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer! I am sorry to hear about all these things. If it is an occasional problem, then it may not be significant, but for frequent ongoing issues proper evaluation and investigation is required. Considering your sad feeling, crying, and all those unwanted stress, possibility of depression has to be ruled out. The diagnosis of depression is not uncommon in older people, but at the same time I suggest you to get a blood test for thyroid because thyroid problem is also common at older age can cause mood symptoms. Thus, you should start with your PCP and blood test, then get a follow up for depression. Even if it is depression there are many treatment options available so nothing to worry at this point.
Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question. Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm already on anti depression meds.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
If you are already on meds, then you may like to add counseling as a part of treatment which may help you to overcome these symptoms because most effective treatment of depression is combination of psychotherapy and meds. On top of this, you also like to visit your doctor for adjusting your meds dose to control your ongoing depression symptoms. You can read more about it from this link, click here.

I hope these information are helpful to you.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.