Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

i have tingling down my left leg from the buttocks to the toes,plus

i have tingling down my left leg from the buttocks to the toes,plus am unable to bend from the hip area with being in pain,feels like i need to crack my leg.feels like tightness,have to find a different way to sit down in a chair or trying to get into my van,i use a heating pad to help with the throbbing in leg while trying to sit.my own doctor said it was a stressed muscle..what do you think it could be
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

What is your age group? Do you have any muscular weakness or numbness in lower limb? is it like radiating pain from your back to your legs? What kind of doctor have you visited?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my age is 49... yes i do have some weakness and numbness,feels more like a tingleing sensation.....have seen my primary doctor and a neurologist....am doing water therapy and certain exercises at home..havent had any x-rays yet...this has been going on and off for the last 6mos.....am taking meds....doesnt seem to be helping...
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you seem to have shooting pain from your lower back going towards your leg along with tingling and numbness, it is suggestive of nerve root compression/irritation. In medical term, this condition is called as sciatica. There are wide number of causes that can cause sciatica, some of those common causes are herniated disk, spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis or tumor/cyst. Most of the people feel better with conservative measures such as rest, heating pad, mild stretching exercise, anti inflammatory meds such as ibuprofen. Having physiotherapy is also very beneficial. If you can make it then, you can visit your doctor and have investigation such as x ray spine/ MRI to conform the diagnosis. Generally, people get better with these conservative measures, if it does not help, then other meds for chronic pain management such as neurontin, lyrica can be prescribed. Some other possibility that can present with backache would be muscle pull, degenerative joint disease etc. All these condition would respond to conservative measures stated above. Since it happening off and on for a while and you are not feeling better this time, you can visit your doctor for proper evaluation and investigation. I think you will benefit by visiting an orthopedic doctor as they specialized in these problems. You can read more about it from this link, click here.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help....could i have a pinched nerve, i do have a bakers cyst behind my left knee,could that be part of my problem too....

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Yes, whenever a nerve is compressed it is called as pinched nerve. Sciatica is a term used for sciatic nerve is compression. Baker cyst may cause knee symptoms such as pain, swelling and stiffness , it may not be reasonable for all your symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you feel i may need surgery...can i ask you a question, where are you located?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Most people get better with conservative measures and medication; thus do not require surgery. Surgery is the last resort in selected cases only.
I am sorry, we can not provide personal information.
You can visit an orthopedic doctor for final diagnosis and management.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank youi very much..i went to a dr. many ears ago with the same name as yours so was wondering if you were from new york area..
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thank you for visiting justanswer.
Take care
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.