Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have a fairly large hematoma on my arm by the elbow do to

I have a fairly large hematoma on my arm by the elbow do to an accident that damaged some musles in my for arm. It is lthe size of a deck of cards and you can move the blood around. I had 25cc removed at the doc. office and they said the rest would desovle into my body, but it's been 22 days since it was drained. Any advice??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have any pain, redness, tenderness or difficulty in using your elbow? Do you notice any decrease in size?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No redness, it is still alittle tender in spots. No decrease or getting larger in size. I can use my elbow good but some lifting is hard do to muscle damage.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Based on your description it sounds like your hematoma is stable and not associated with any complication at this time. Usually smaller hematoma without any symptoms can be left there, which eventually gets absorbed leading to self recovery. I see that 25 cc was taken out few weeks ago and remaining were left for self recovery. As you have indicated, it is a big one so it will take longer to recover, there is no specific time frame, but it may take few weeks to months to subside on its own. Treatment is considered only if you see increase in size, severe pain, or warm to touch because that will suggest infection which require proper management. I think this is just a matter of time, you will fell much better gradually. In the meantime, you can take rest, avoid trauma/pressure in that area, elevate you arm etc. for symptomatic relief.
Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question. Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would there be any advantages to getting it drained again so my outter tissue/skin can start reataching itself to the muscle tissue?

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
I think it will be bit early to do any intervention because even these minor procedure carry the risk of infection. I would wait for few weeks and see how it goes. By that time you may consider follow up evaluation by your doctor to see if anything else needs to be considered.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.