Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My daughter age 14 has been losing a lot of hair for the last

My daughter age 14 has been losing a lot of hair for the last few months and her finger nails have a light maroon/purple tint closer to the base. She has hypothyroidism but her TSH levels are normal. Have tried vitamin A and B supplements as well as Anaphase shampoo. She is not anaemic and eats well, exercises moderately and sleeps well.WE are now very concerned about the hair loss.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
Did she have anny major fever about three months back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No.

Hair loss at such a young age is usually not common.

One thing to check out is thyroid levels - hypothyroidism can cause such a loss.

Other likely cause is anemia which has been ruled out for her.

Hair loss can also follow following stress or fever - such hair loss occurs about three months or so afterwards.

Besides checking out her thyroid levels, consult a dermatologist - a dermatologist is the appropriate specialist for this. Things like lupus can be checked for though unlikely - but ask about this. Also discuss about using Minoxidil.

Take care - thyroid levels should be checked - also consult a dermatologist - meanwhile give a high protein high iron diet which helps in hair growth.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She did have a bout of viral fever which every person in the family did. Could that be a cause? In fact the first thing we checked was the thyroid levels which the endocrinologist assured were okay. Was suggested use of Minoxidil by a dermatologist, we have not used it so far since that is prescribed for male pattern balding and were a little put off by the side effects/contraindications.
What about the maroon/purple tinge at the base of her finger nails? Why is that happening?
Yes, the fever could be the cause. I would suggest not to worry - such hair loss is always temporary - usually will normalize in two or three months again.

Minoxidil can be used for other types of hair loss also including female pattern hair loss - but it is to be used with caution at such a young age. I would suggest - do not use it, hold it off, I am sure hair loss will return to normal in tow or three months again.

About the blue nails, I would suggest that you discuss with your doctor. It probably means nothing, but you should rule out that it is cyanosis - inadequate oxygenation of the blood. This can be due to heart defects like congenital heart defects, lung causes like bronchispasm and blood causes like Methemoglobinemia.

But most likely it is not cyanosis at all - simply a bluish discoloration of the nails which is present in many people.

Take care - for the hair loss I would suggest a wait and watch approach with high protein high iron diet - as for the nails it probably does not mean anything at all bt discuss with your doctor about cyanosis.

With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.