Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Why does my head hurt when I shake it?

Head hurts when I shake it

The two common causes for the head hurting when shaken are sinus issues and tension headaches.

In tension headaches, the muscles of the head and neck region are in spasm to some degree. When you shake your head, the spasm increases and the head hurts more.

In sinusitis, since the sinuses are inflamed, shaking the head causes the inflamed tissue to hurt. If the headache continues in spite of the Excedrin, please consult your doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I have been having tension headaches for a while now. Well it pains on my head. What's sinusitis?

Sinusitis is inflammation of the tissues of some areas of the head called sinuses. These are mainly located in the bones of the cheek and the forehead. In your case, the pain is probably due to tension headaches.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Thank you. 1 more thing do tension headaches last long? I have had these head pains for 3 week now. On and off

Tension headaches do not usually last this long unless you have some underlying stress in your life. If it has been going on this long, you need to consult a doctor for a checkup.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They are little pains and not headaches. Once in a while I'll get headaches

The you have no cause for concern. They are minor flare ups of tension headaches.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I visit dr again?

Yes, you should - the headache has continued for too long.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can it be something bad?
I doubt it but a check up will be a good idea.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have neck pain to. Yeah I will get it checked out

Neck pain can occur in tension headaches.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you