Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

what does a ct scan of the abdomen show will show anything

what does a ct scan of the abdomen show will show anything about the diaghpram and stomach and intestines
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Is there something specific that you are concerned about?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lol hello dr abby you have helped me a lot i have anxiety and chronic stomach bloating and pvcs and i had one done a little over a year ago plus i have hep c and i trust you
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I am glad I have helped you :)

A CT scah of the abdomen does not show the stomach that well...if there is a concern regarding the lining of the stomach (ulcer, for example) a scope of the stomach is really what you need.

The diaphragm is usually visualized on the CT scan as is the base of the lungs.

The intestines are also visualized but a CT scan is not the test of choice for certain intestinal problems.
For example, it will not pick up small polyps but it will pick up inflammation of the colon, obstructions, narrowing or scarring of the colon, diverticulitis...

So, it all depends on what you are looking for as to whether the CT scan is the appropriate test.

With chronic bloating, this is often due to foods that you eat, irritable bowel (all testing will be normal), or possible malabsorption if you also have diarrhea (such as celiac or lactose intolerance).

Let me know if you have further questions....

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i wished u doctored in kansas lol will it show a hiatal hernia and show anything about the liver
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it should show a hiatal hernia.

It also does evaluate the liver and should show fatty change, cirrhosis, obstruction if these are present.

Thank you for the compliment :) I assume you don't get as much snow as we do here in Michigan.

Dr abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no but i would move ther so u could be my doc lol i think i am a hypochondriac or have somata disorder cause i have a lot of physical symptoms and they cant find anything wrong except having hep c 2b for 19 years and i am only 36
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
:) There are a lot of plusses and minuses to living in MI.

Abdominal bloating and pain could be irritable bowel...for this there are no physical findings despite the physical symptoms.

If you have either constipation or diarrhea, abdominal discomfort that is relieved with a bowel movement, no pain at night when sleeping--this could be irritable bowel.

I know it is frustrating when not having any diagnosis. Anxiety magnifies things too.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States