Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

I would like to wean myself off the blood pressure medication

I would like to wean myself off the blood pressure medication I am now taking.
Its 10 mg per day of Enalapril Maleate. Since I'm thoroughly convinced that my blood pressure problem is 95% "White Coat" hypertension - the constantly going to the doctor to have it checked and wondering if my prescription will be renewed is not a comfortable situation for me. What is the safest way to wean oneself off this medication?
Can I just stop taking it when the prescription runs out?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

You are only on 10mg of Enalapril, is that it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes and I take it once a day
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

ACtually with the blood pressures you have - just stop the pill you are taking - it is a low dose pill to begin with, and just watch your blood pressures at home like you are doing - and if they remain normal, then you do not need to take the blood pressure medication any more.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's good to hear. I have been scared into thinking that stopping is dangerous.
Do you think it would be helpful to cut the dosage in half for a week before stopping altogether or
is that not necessary.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

No, not really dangerous to stop since this is a low dose pill and because your pressures now are very good.

So you can stop altogether and just watch your blood pressure and if the blood pressure stays less than 140/90, you are fine - a good blood pressure is 130/80 or less.