Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD
4079050

MY SON HAS A CHOICE BETWEEN ZAPREXZ AND LATUDA. HE WAS ON

Customer Question

MY SON HAS A CHOICE BETWEEN ZAPREXZ AND LATUDA. HE WAS ON CLOZARIL FOR 15 + YRS. HE GOT BLOOD CLOTS IN LUNGS AND WAS TAKEN OFF . WE NOW NEED TO KNOW WHICH IS BETTER FOR HIM. HE IS 365 POUNDS AND DOESN'T NEED TO GAIN. HAS DIEABETES AND TAKES BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Considering that he has diabetes, needs to avoid weight gain, out of the two medicines you have mentioned, Latuda is a better choice.

According to the literature, the safety profile of Latuda is good with minimal weight gain on the other hand Zaprexz (Olanzapine) may cause significant weight gain and is not a preferred choice in diabetics.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I already knew that but I guess that I just wanted to hear someone else tell me that Latuda was the right choice. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

You are most welcome.

I wish your son a very early and speedy recovery.

Kind regards

Vikas