Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

Is 99.1 a low grade fever?

Is 99.1 a low grade fever?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 5 years ago.

Yes. High grade fever is considered to be anything more than 101 F.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I do have a fever?

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 5 years ago.

Yes. Normal body temperature is considered to be 98.6 F. So technically, 99.1 F is low grade fever. However this much rise in temperature can be there under normal circumstances as after an exertion or in very hot weather.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can severe anxiety cause that?

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 5 years ago.

Yes it can happen. There are two systems in our body working in a balance. These are the sympathetic and the parasympathetic systems. When we are in state of anxiety the sympathetic system is activated resulting in a rise in temperature and preparing the body for "fight" or flight".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well my throat feels irritated and nose congested. I feel nauseous and have loss of appetite and energy. I'am suspecting an HIV infection. My 12 week 4 days blood antibody test came back negative but I don't know what I'm gonna do with the anxiety of waiting until the 6 month mark. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 5 years ago.

HIV antibody test at 12 weeks is likely to detect a very high number of cases (some claim at more than 99 %). So that being negative should be a good news for you. The symptoms that you have mentioned can easily be due to your being anxious for the next test. Throat irritation and congested nose can themselves cause nausea and loss of appetite. Add these to low grade fever equals the possibility of a viral infection of the upper airways. So the best thing at this point in time would be to stay calm and not let your daily activities suffer. As anxiety would not help make things better. You are an adult and life would have definitely taught you the reality of zero benefit off anxiety.