Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

What. Do you do for kind of like heartburn but its like when

What. Do you do for kind of like heartburn but it's like when you swallow and it feels like it doesn't go all the way down like it gets stuck in the upper part of throat. It is kind of like a pressure but not pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

you have GERD however I am concerned about the description of something feeling like it gets stuck. When ever this occurs you need to have in examination of the esophagus to make certain there is no growth that can cause narrowing. One can get a narrowed esophagus from chronic reflux which can cause a stricture but that was usually occur in the lower part of the esophagus. I will give you the most up to date recommendations for the treatment of GERD but you need to be examined by a specialist who can look at your entire esophagus with an endoscope. You have GERD= gastro esophageal reflux disease

Eat bland foods. Although many doctors tell their patients to avoid spicey foods, fatty foods, citrus fruits, tomato juice or sauce, chocolates, alcohol and carbonated drinks, coffee (also decaf), there is no scientific evidence that is helpful. You should avoid PROVOCATIVE foods which are any foods that specifically causes you discomfort. You should also stop smoking. You should not eat anything 2 hours before bedtime. The head of the bed should be raised 6-8 inches (can use large cans with sand) and try sleeping with left side down IF you have nighttime reflux. Don't lie down for 2-3 hours after a meal. Some medications may make the reflux worse, including anti-cholinergics, NSAIDS, antibiotics, anti-depressants, nitrates, progesterone, beta blockers and calcium channel blockers, iron, potassium, sedatives and bronchodilators. Several non-prescription agents may help; Gaviscon, Mylanta or Maalox as directed on bottle, acid suppressing agents such as OTC Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, or Axid or the stronger agents ( PPI's) such as Prilosec or Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex and Protonix. Again follow instruction on the labels. Your Doctor may want to double your dose if you fail to improve.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.