Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

experiencing attacks of severe pain lasting 12 hours around

experiencing attacks of severe pain lasting 12 hours around the navel area, generally a little above and also below this area. Indigestion symptoms recently more severe. Attack culminates in vomiting and strong stomach pain persists for 6 more hours. Attacks might be weeks or months apart but always severe. thx
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.

You may have gastritis or an inflammation of the stomach or you may have an ulcer. This can cause vomiting and severe indigestion and pain. You also need to exclude gallbladder disease which can easily be done with an ultrasound of the abdomen and when these tests are done your doctor can make appropriate diagnosis and treatment. If you have gallstones you would need to have them removed.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pain is more below the navel, and soreness around the area lasts for a few days. I had a gastroscopy and i assume that rules out ulcer and maybe inflammation of the stomach. Can it not be diverticulitis and ....etc? although would gall bladder be slightly above the navel and more so below the navel as I have? I looked the causes and I think that maybe fatty food like cheese or nuts seems to trigger an attack. Question is would gall bladder disease be sited more below the navel as I have?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
It could still be gallbladder but below navel less likely. You would need colonoscopy to exclude a colon lesion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I appreciate, Lastly now i can say maybe that it sits right on the navel area ( in thinking). The pain i try to be more accurate resembles the location of a diarrhoea pain but of course its not diarrhoea. the remaining soreness sits around the navel. It would seem something to do with bile as the taste of of the reflux stuff is (imagine) acidic, certainly bitterish. Maybe it is gall bladder? I will check it of course as you suggest and lastly I have had (recently) the gastroscopy and the colonoscopy. Had one polyp which had had the beginning changes and this was removed with a checkup to be done in a year. It was located high up. I would like your final thoughts. Thanks a lot.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Same as above. No lesion in colon. Polyp removed is no longer a concern regarding present problem.

Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.