Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I have a painful bump on the skin in between my buttcheeks

I have a painful bump on the skin in between my buttcheeks closer to my genital area. I have had this problem a few times before and it tends to go away and then come back. It is always in the same spot, and the pain is isolated to that spot. It is uncomfortable to sit down. I felt it today and most of it seems to be under the skin. I have no other symptoms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

How long the symptoms are there? How large is the bump? How far it is from vagina or anus? What is the precise site? Did you have any treatment? How did it get resolved before?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It usually feels swollen for about 7-10 days. It feels a little larger than a pea when I grab the skin. Then the swelling comes down and it won't happen again for a while. I can recall 3 occasions this has happened in the past year. I would say it is directly an inch down from the entrance to the vagina right where the two butt cheeks meet. I have not had any treatment, I dont know if something irritates it then causes it to swell? But the swelling/pain goes away on its own. I'm just curious as to why its the same location and its happened a few times.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

There can be a few probables. This can be an inflammation or infection of a follicle. If the folliculitis is small , they can clear off by itself like by applying moist warm compress & keeping the area clean. In many cases no further treatment is required. Another probable is a cyst. Cyst can get inflamed. When it is recurring, you should get it checked by doctor. You can apply warm moist compress. Antiinflammatory actions like motrin or advil can be taken if there is no contraindication.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.