Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I have a slight soar throat below my adams apple. Only hurts when I yawn or shoosh the kid

I have a slight soar throat below my adams apple. Only hurts when I yawn or shoosh the kids. Noticed it for the last 2 weeks. it is not a cold nor do I have other symptoms just feels like a soar muscle

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Is this area red? hot? tender to touch ?

Any obvious swelling ?

fever ?

How severe is the pain ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this area red? hot? tender to touch ? No not at all. More or less only notice when I yawn, raise my voice or make a loud shooshing sound

Any obvious swelling ? No swelling

fever ? No Fever

How severe is the pain ? Pain is not bad at all. More of a discomfort

Do you have cough ? sputum/phlegm ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have a cough or noticeable allergies that I can speak of. I do not have any problem swallowing either. Just a soreness found in my throat just below my adams apple that I can only feel when I use those muscles.

Thank you for your reply,

This may be due to mild inflammation of the voice box which can occur after viral infections, they resolve over few weeks, may need only pain killers like tylenol and advil if the pain is of high grade. In most cases it does not need any treatment and resolves.
Steam inhalation, lozenges may be helpful.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your time. I have not been feeling sick but from what I understand you are saying it is mild inflammation from a virus I may not even know I had. Could it also be from shouting which straigned it?

Thank you for your reply,
Over use of voice is also a trigger of such symptoms and in most cases mild inflammation either due to previous viral infections or due to chronic over use of voice resulting in repeated trauma to this area is the cause.
Most resolve by less use of voice and pain killers like tylenol, steam inhalation is also helpful.

I hope this helps.