Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

My sister has Type 2 diabities and has been diagnosed as having

Customer Question

My sister has Type 2 diabities and has been diagnosed as having 'gastrostenosis' based on symptoms (not the emptying test). She is 76, obese, high blood pressure, lives alone. She has always had a problem with gagging easily and gets dry heaves easily (even while brushing teeth). She is not eating, and cannot get up without assistance of two aides or a lift. Doctors have sent her to a nursing home for rehabilitation, but she is not progressing in fact she is going backwards after just 3 weeks. I don't know who she should see for help. Her primary doctor wants her to have the emptying test, (4 hours long) but she can't hold the food down, nor can she lay flat on her back. She feels like she can't breathe. Please give us some suggestion. We live in Tulsa, Oklahoma
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Hello,The fact that you described her gagging with just brushing her teeth speaks against gastroparesis secondary to diabetes. However if she cannot hold food down she must try to have the test for gastroparesis done. They can give just a small amount of or harmless radioactive material and make the diagnosis if it is present. From what you described she should really try to have this test done as this is the only thing that would be treatable in her case. It sounds like she has other medical conditions that may or may not be able to be improved but there are definite treatments for gastroparesis if it is present. If she is able to have this test done you may notify me if it is positive for further recommendations.*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My sister was diagnosed with stomach cancer. What treatments are available? What are the chances of survival? Tell me what to expect?
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to hear this. from your previous description it sounds like she is not a candidate for surgery. Also with advanced cancer chemotherapy will provide at most a partial response so this will probably not be offered. Unfortunately she will continue to loose weight and get weaker. Make sure the doctors give her enough pain killers to make her comfortable. This will probably last in terms of weeks or months but that depends on many things and is difficult to predict. Good luck to her.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.