Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

How do I treat swollen ankles? This is the first time I have

Customer Question

How do I treat swollen ankles? This is the first time I have had grossly swollen ankles except when I was pregnant.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
Hello,If you press your finger and hold it for a few seconds, is there an indentation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
This is called pedal edema. This means you have excess fluid causing the swelling of your ankles. There are many different causes for this and you need to be fully evaluated by your doctor to determine if this is due to something serious such as heart failure or kidney disease or a benign imbalance of hormones. Until this is done do not take excessive fluids and did not take more than 1200 mg of sodium a day and keep your feet elevated. This problem may be cured by taking a simple diuretic or water pill but you need to be evaluated first. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.