Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Two days ago I was nauseus and vomited all day. For the past

Two days ago I was nauseus and vomited all day. For the past couple of days I haven't vomited but have diarrhea, nausea, a moderate headache and am very tired since I haven't eaten very much. I am 60 and in good health. Don't ususally suffer from colds, flu and the like. Should I consult with my doctor or how should I treat my ongoing symptoms. Thank you.
Hello, You are doing the correct thing except for the tortilla soup. You most likely have a viral gastroenteritis, which is a viral infection of the stomach and intestines usually caused by norovirus. This may cause nausea, vomiting, and an upset stomach. It may also cause lower abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Viral infections of the G.I. tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections may last up to one week. It is most important during this illness that you maintain hydration. You must drink plenty of fluids. Clear fluids such as clear juices, the syrup juice from canned fruit, or electrolyte drinks (ie. Gatorade) are best. Also Jello and broth may be taken. If you are hungry then you may eat toast, plain rice, or crackers. To treat the nausea and vomiting or upset stomach ask your doctor for Compazine. For diarrhea take over-the-counter Imodium. If symptoms persist for longer then a week or if you develop high fevers or have bloody diarrhea must see your doctor immediately. While you are sick try to maintain good hygiene with careful handwashing and not sharing your personal items with others as this is how this infection is spread. I hope you feel better. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.