DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Can I take L-Arginine, L-Citrulline and Pycnogonal together? Would this be beneficial for

Customer Question

Can I take L-Arginine, L-Citrulline and Pycnogonal together? Would this be beneficial for E.D. and if so what would be the best dosage for each supplement to take together?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hello and thank you for your question

Mysticdoc :

Yes you can take them together.

Mysticdoc :

Their efects on ED are questionable.

Mysticdoc :

Arginine can be taken 1000 mg daily.

Mysticdoc :

L citrulline 1500 mg daily

Customer:

Hello, Could you do a little more research before you answer my question. There have been a number of studies done with all three of the supplements I mentioned, and I have also had some success. I have tried Cialis and it works well, but it is very expensive, and I think the three items are a good alternative

Customer:

You haven't mentioned the pycnogenal. I think my question involves too much research, b/c there is a lot of information out their to evaluate. I was hoping to speak to someone who is more update with the research going on.

Mysticdoc :

sorry i will ot pu.

Mysticdoc :

Sorry I will opt out.

Mysticdoc :

The research you mentioned is inadequate to prove they cure ED.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
What research specifically are you talking about?
I treat with such methods and there are no definitive clinical trials, or even any good clinical trails with men at this point to show any of this works
Do you have a link to what you have been looking at?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you simply google L-Arginine and Pycnogenal you will find what I am referring to. Also, if you look of L-Citrulline and L-Arginine there is a lot there to show it is important these be taken together to get the best results.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
IF you look at reviews of this you will find that there is enough evidence to say that arginine is possibly effective for this.
There is not even enough evidence for citrulline alone or for the two together to say that citrulline has any bearing on this...not at this point in time.

I use argine up to 5 grams a day with my patients who want the benefits of arginine, and up to 15 grams under supervision.

There are many other ways to naturally approach ED but they should be based on measurement, not self help trial and error.

A comprehensive approach to this is found in functional medicine.
Find an MD trained here
www.functionalmedicine.org

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My original question was: Can I take L-Arginine, L-Citrulline and Pycnogonal together?

Would this be beneficial for E.D.

and if so what would be the best dosage for each supplement to take together?

It appears this is not something anyone feels comfortable answering, or the amount of research time too great. I really can't say that I am satisfied with the answer however, and it appears it would be a waste of time to progress further.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
No that is not the case
pycnogenol has no evidence for helping this.
Citrulline has not enough evidence to say at all.
Arginine has enough evidence to say that it might help.
For ED arginine has enough evidence to say [an educated guess] 5 grams a day.

That is the best scientific statement.
No one should give you other than that, except clinical experience, and I have that, and I have gone up to 15 grams of arginine with closer supervision, with sometimes enhanced efficacy, sometimes not, and without side effects to speak of.

And I suggested also that you work with a doctor trained, not do this on your own.

There is no reason at this point to add citrulline or pycnogenol.
good luck
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I just sent a message that with it being late, i will have to respond tomorrow and I will explain then.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

I noticed the relist. The other doc provided some good information.

What else would you like to know?