Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

II have pain on left side in rib, arm and shoulder and it is

II have pain on left side in rib, arm and shoulder and it is slightly harder to breathe and gets worse with movement. I was on antibiotics and that seemed to make it better till i finished the script
Hello, Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.Since how long you have such symptoms?Numbness in left arm?For which condition you were given antibiotics?Any past medical issue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Symptoms for several weeks, moved furniture for my mother originally thought i pulled somethi ng.. Yes, sometimes if i have done alot of movement or when i wake up i do have numbness on left side. I was treated for strep throat
It is possible that you may be suffering from Costochondritis.It is an inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the chest pains in right/ left side.Nerve can be compressed due to inflamed cartilage and thereby the pain can be felt in arm or shoulder too.Such pain can also be felt in back too.To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are--Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.-Antidepressants, specifically tricyclic antidepressants, are very helpful.-Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases... To be on safe you should get chest x-ray done.I hope this helps.. If you have any other questions, please ask them.Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. A BONUS is appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you don't think these are symptoms of pleurisy? My mother had that and she said my symptoms sound like that... but I'm asking you cause you are the expert not my mom!! Is that why i should have chest x ray to rule that out? Thanks happy with your answer
Pleurisy symptoms are- chest pain, dry cough, fever and chills, shortness of breath. Most likely your symptoms have relation with Pleurisy. Chest x-ray should be done to check for- pneumonia or other lung disorders...If you have any other questions, please ask them.Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. A BONUS is appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok so with the costochondritos issue the compression of the nerve that would cause the numbness in my arm possibly?? And the numbness doesn't have to be all the time correct??
Yes, Costochondritis can cause numbness in arm/ back too. Usually it is easily treated with prescription pills. Numbness may come and go. Please see your doctor for evaluation... If you have any other questions, please ask them. Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. A BONUS is appreciated.