Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Hi, I had blood drawn today at about 2:30 pm by someone

I had blood drawn today at about 2:30 pm by someone who didn't seem very good. First she tried to draw blood from my right inner arm opposite the elbow, then after being unsuccessful, she moved to my left wrist where she succeeded in drawing blood.

This is not uncommon for me as I have small veins so I was annoyed but didn't think much more about it, but I did notice that the vein area continued to hurt for about an hour afterward, which is strange.

Now many hours later, my wrist is still tender and hurts quite a bit. Also I see that there is some strange swelling in the vein puncture area protruding about 1/4 inch or so more than normal from the side of my wrist. It is kind of bouncy like a water balloon when I press it but there is no visible bruising or discoloration.

I should also mention that I am taking a strong painkiller----oxycodone--because I have a stress fracture in my foot so I can only imagine that it would hurt a lot more if I wasn't taking anything.

Should I be alarmed? What should I do?

Thanks,

Alison

PS--I am a 46 year old woman.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Hello,Do not be alarmed. What you are describing is a subcutaneous hematoma (bruise) which occurred by her going thru and thru the vein and causing the blood to leak and cause pain. The only thing you can do is to apply pressure and ice until tomorrow then warm soaks. This will disappear but may take a few days. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response. How often should I do the ice tonight and for how long?

And how often should I do the warm soaks tomorrow and for how long? Should I stop the ice tomorrow and just do the warm soaks?

Thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
As long as you can tonight and then tomorrow 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a day. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.