Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Thanks 4 your initial answer on 12/18-19: Even tho I could

Thanks 4 your initial answer on 12/18-19: Even tho I could only get about 3/4 of that laxative solution down, the Colonoscopy was done without problems. THE FOLLOWUP QUESTION I'VE BEEN MEANING TO ASK: Dx. was "Mild Diverticulosis" - Recommendations to drink more water (which I've found hard to implement), & also to increase fiber intake. I thought I was already getting sufficient fiber! & trying to increase it seems to cause more frequent, looser stools (which can interfere w. normal daily activity)... Any suggestions?!
helloDiverticulosis is a very common problem as one becomes older. At your age approximately 60% of people will have diverticulosis. these are small pouches or pockets in the large Bowel. In most people diverticulosis remains without symptoms. However they may on occasion cause bleeding and there may be associated spasm that can cause abdominal discomfort. Diverticulosis occurs because of the contractions of the muscles in the large bowel. if one of these pockets becomes infected this is now called diverticulitis. Itis means inflammation or infection. Once this occurs a patient will have tenderness in that area usually a change in bowel habits and may have a slight temperature. When diverticulitis occurs and there is tenderness than that will require antibiotic treatment. Most often oral antibiotics will suffice however on occasion the patient may need intravenous antibiotics if the infection is severe. On rare occasions the antibiotics will not work and an abscess may develop which would require surgery. If you do not have diverticulitis then you should be encouraged to eat a high fiber, high bulk diet to reduce the spasm. Try to take 2 tbls. of Metamucil a day. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you 4 the reply,

I guess my main followup question is: What is your definition of "spasm?" Does it include the urge/more frequent bowel movements? **So, would the 2 tbls. Metamucil INCREASE or DECREASE the current 4-6 soft bowel movements during the 1st half of the day?

Thanks for the clarification!

Spasm is increased contraction of the bowel. The metamucil will put but more bulk in the stool and hopefully less frequency. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.