DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health
9384716

during a workout with a trainer 2 days ago, I was working my

during a workout with a trainer 2 days ago, I was working my triceps by placing my hands flat on a bench, and dropping my bottom toward the floor. i had completed one set of 10 successfully, and while working on the second set heard a pop in the area left of my sternum. the pain felt like someone had punched me in the chest. I have iced the area, and have taken ibruprofen, however, the pain continues even during rest. should i be seen by a doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 5 years ago.

DrKnowsBest :

if theres no swelling in the area and you are not short of breath it is likely a rib sprain

DrKnowsBest :

go up to 600 ibuprofen and ice but as you might imagine takes a long time for a rib injury to resolve

DrKnowsBest :

the area left of sternum is where the cartilage connection is and low blood flow so slow healing

DrKnowsBest :

other possibilities though unlikely is a rib fracture or collapsed lung-usually more swelling and deformity or short breath accompany-if worse or no change after a week see your dr

DrKnowsBest :

even at rest theres pain with breathing in and out so rest and lessen left arm activity as arm over head or back can pull ribs

DrKnowsBest :

if no more questions please press accept to exit

DrKnowsBest :

r u there