Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Abdominal pain in upper right spreading to back, but not above

Abdominal pain in upper right spreading to back, but not above ribs. Comes and goes, sometimes severe. This has been happening for a couple of months, almost every day. What could be the cause?
Hello, the first thing you need to do is to see your doctor so he can order an ultrasound of the abdomen to exclude gallstones which you will most likely have. Also he should get liver tests to make sure there is not abnormality in the liver. You may have a duodenal ulcer however that can be looked into if the ultrasound is negative which I doubt it will be. I would appreciate followup. *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.