Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

What would cause tooth pain entire right side of mouth - feels

What would cause tooth pain entire right side of mouth - feels like a toothache but not isolated to one tooth. Extreme sensitivity to cold. Is temporarily relieved by advil
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Is this upper or lower teeth (or both)?
Is this on one side or both?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
primarily upper and just on right side
Thank you for the additional information.

It certainly is possible that sinus inflammation or infection can present with diffuse tooth pain that involves the upper teeth, and it can affect one or both sides. Sinus problems are the most common cause of tooth pain after dental problems have been excluded.

It is also possible to have a diffuse dental problem, such as a infection of the gums, that can cause pain involving multiple teeth. If there is tenderness in the mouth or teeth, it is more likely to be a dental problem.

There also can be the perception of pain in the teeth from musculoskeletal inflammation or a neurologic condition, such as trigeminal neuralgia.

It would be reasonable to manage this as sinus inflammation, such as using an antihistamine/decongestant. If there is a sinus infection, it would typically require antibiotics.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am relatively certain that it is not a dental problem but possibly the sinus inflammation. I had a cold about a week ago but it appears to have gone away. I am not now experiencing any congestion now so would the sinus infection diagnosis be probable? What sort of antihistamine/decongestant should I use - Sudafed? Benadryl? Probably won't be able to get a script for antibiotics until next week and the pain can get pretty intense> What antihistamine/decongestant do you recommend?
It is possible that sinus inflammation or infection can present with tooth pain without congestion. There are a variety of antihistamines on the market, and no single antihistamine is overall better than another, but different ones will work better for different people. The Benadryl is a good antihistamine, although it has a relatively high incidence of drowsiness as a side effect. If it affects you this way, then a non-sedating antihistamine may be better, such as Claritin or Zyrtec. The Sudafed is a good decongestant and can be combined with any of the antihistamines. Most of the antihistamines also come combined with a decongestant, and it is OK to use whichever decongestant is combined with the antihistamine, as long as you don't take multiple types of decongestants together.