Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

I am a 44 year old female, who is overweight, a non drinker

I am a 44 year old female, who is overweight, a non drinker and non smoker. 5 months ago, i had an open cholestyectomy, for gallstone pancreatitis. The operation was a success, with no complications. I was told that the pancreas was observed under the knife, and that the enlargement that had been prevalent for some months had subsided, so no action was needed to be taken on the pancreas, and just the gallbladder was removed.For the last 2 or 3 weeks, i have been experiencing mild, dull aches in my lower left side under the rib cage. Sometimes it is after ihave eaten,and sometimes it appears when i have had nothing to eat for a few hours.
You need to have blood tests to see if your pancreas is inflamed. These would be amylase and lipase. If the pancreas is inflamed you will need to have an ERCP to determine if you have recurrent or retained stones which are blocking the pancreatic duct and again causing pancreatitis. There are other causes for left upper quadrant pain such as an enlarged spleen or spasm in the large bowel however you should get the pancreas checked first.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.