Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

My liver enzymes are elevated and potassium low

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 2 years ago.
What is your bilirubin level?

Do you have yellowish eyes / sclera?

Which enzymes are eleveted?

I am still available online to respond after you answer my queries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Biliruben normal
no signs of yellowing
ALT AST. Ranging around 67 and 64
The mildly elevated liver enzymes may be due to fatty infiltration of the liver, alcohol use, certain drugs etc.

It is important to clarify that ALT and AST levels do not reflect the function of the liver, even though they commonly are referred to as liver function tests or LFTs. They only are used to detect inflammation due to injury or damage to the liver from any source. Even in conditions when AST and ALT are very elevated, the liver may function properly.

You should see if the albumin and globulin levels are normal , prothrombin time indicating bleeding tendencies are normal which indicates proper liver function.

For the low potassium, you can take daily potchlor prescribed by your doctor . You can also take vitamin K rich foods.

With regards,
Dr. Bora.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Please press the "green accept button" to accept this answer and give credit for my work and time.

Positive Feedback and bonus is warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by liver damage or injury
Damage here means inflammation of the liver cells due to any condition like fat deposition in the liver cells, alcohol induced liver injury.

You could get an ultrasound of the liver to see if there is any fat deposition in the liver or a blood lipid profile for cholesterol level.

With regards,
Dr. Bora.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I Don't drink, but I am on alot of medicinefor years and have been over weight for most ofmy life. Can this problem be reversed with alotof weight loss and excercise. I am always feeling stressed. Could this complicatethe liver problems. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't drink. I am under alot of stress and have
been on alot of meds for many years
if I lost a substantial amount of weigh and
excercised, could this elevation reverse itself
Yes, you have to lose weight to reverse the liver enzymes.

I would just like to add that do not take the mildly elevated enzymes too seriously as the good thing is that the bilirubin level is normal which indicates that the liver is still doing its normal function.

Thanks.

With regards,
Dr. Bora.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.