Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wifes latest total cholesterol was 261. Her Triglycerides

My wife's latest total cholesterol was 261. Her Triglycerides were 68. Her HDL was 124 and her LDL was 124. Should we be conserned about these results?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
If there are no other factors to consider, then there is no reason to be concerned about these levels. In most people, the goal is to achieve an LDL level of <130, and she is already at this level. Her total cholesterol is elevated, but it is primarily because of an elevation in the HDL (the "good" cholesterol), so there is no reason to be concerned about the elevation in the total cholesterol.

The only issue that may prompt concern is if there are other conditions that would alter the recommendations for controlling the LDL cholesterol. In someone with known heart disease or diabetes, the goal for control of the LDL would be <100. However, if she has no heart disease or diabetes, then there is no reason to be concerned about these results.