Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I have a lot of gas, much more than normal. This started slowly between last summer and th

I have a lot of gas, much more than normal. This started slowly between last summer and the end of September. had a CT scan, Ultrasound, and Colonosphy. All tests came back normal. Test for Gluten intolorance came back negative. It's bearable, though not socially correct, if I can pass the gas, but I get sharp pain from my abdomen if I cannot pass it. I need to take a pain killer to sleep now. There was a suggestion that it might be IBS but I seem able to eat most foods, except obviously gassy foods and have regular (mostly) bowel movements.. My doctor has me taking Metronidasole now. I am hoping that it is a bacterial infection and this works to clear it up. What other options do I have?
Hi there...
Keeping your history in mind i will suggest you to get your urea breath test to rule out the possibility of Helicobacter Pylori infection ,because sometime bacterial infection of stomach can present with excessive gas in stomach ,so get test and proceed further,if test comes positive then 10-14 days antibiotic course needed to cure that.
Regards,if you found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit.
Thanks and wishing you a good health.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had a Helicobacter Pylori blood test last summer (negative) as my wife contracted Helocobacter Pylori last year. Is it possible the blood test would not detect this but the urea breath test would?

I will suggest you to repeat test and get urea breath test that will be helpful.