Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

A friend had a perforated colon ten years ago and underwent

Customer Question

A friend had a perforated colon ten years ago and underwent major surgery which entailed pulling out all her organs to clean her abdomen. She feels she's never been quite the same since that ordeal. Then 3 or 4 months ago she had surgery to remove her gall bladder. Due to the past surgery which cut her open from top to bottom, they said they couldn't do the common 3-point laparoscopy, opting for an incision instead. Since that gall bladder surgery, she has experienced a myriad of symptoms and I'm hoping you might be able to shed a little light on some possible causes or at least help us get on the right path to some answers. She feels sick every day and has lost 60 pounds. She goes to work, but after 6 or 7 hours is burned out and needs to go home. Once home, she sometimes gets hard chills which require up to 4 blankets to relieve. She also runs low grade fevers at times. She goes to bed at night only to wake after 2, 3, or 4 hours of sleep and can't get back to sleep. She's also sick. She says she's been sick for 7 weeks and hasn't figured out what she can or cannot eat that will agree with her system. She's very tired and would appreciate any answers or guidance with this situation. I'd like to help her--she's a good person who helps many in our community. I know you haven't seen her in person, but I'm so hoping you might have an idea where to start. Thank you so much. Sincerely, Cheri
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

By sick do you you mean nauseous? Has she had any recent tests done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, nausea, cannot eat much, fatigued, can hardly get through her work day. I didn't ask about specific tests lately, but she is partially retired so doesn't have the greatest insurance and I thought I'd try to help her without her knowing. She doesn't want to bother anyone and would feel terrible if she knew I spent money here. Im telling you all this so you'll understand why I might not be able to answer all your questions. I will try and I appreciate any help you can offer. Next?
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
thank you for the additional information.

In view of her nausea and significant weight loss and fatigue she may have a serious problem unrelated to her prior surgery. I would be concerned about a possible tumor that may be in her stomach or elsewhere in the abdomen. She needs to have a complete workup with blood tests and x-ray studies to rule out a serious condition. Unfortunately I cannot give you any recommendations without having her evaluated for the cause of her symptoms.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your guess. I'm concerned it might be serious as well. I don't want to lose my friend. One last thought and I'll let you go...could this be a hormonal thing at all or thyroid? Chills and feverish feelings can be part of menopausal symptoms at times...I know it's a stretch. Just want to ask . Thank you very much!
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
The weight loss combined with G.I. symptoms speak against thyroid to me but it is possible. But I doubt it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time and input. Good night.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
you are welcome