Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I had my gallbladder out several years ago and I have like

I had my gallbladder out several years ago and I have like acid like burning pain that spreads across my colon area and causes nausia sometimes vomiting and water yellow diarrhea. what is happing to me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

Any bleeding?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No

Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Cramping and diarrhea may indicate Irritable Bowel Syndrome. One may get diarrhea after gall bladder removal but no associated pain. Irritable bowel syndrome was at one time considered to be a diagnosis of exclusion but now there are definite criteria to make this diagnosis that I will give you. With IBS you need to make sure no other serous diseases are present. Some serious diseases may present  with bleeding or weight loss, nocturnal symptoms or fecal soiliage. This means you may need to have tests such as colonoscopy, possibly biopsy, barium X-Rays and stool analysis for infection to rule out other diseases such as celiac sprue, colitis, infection, or tumor.  With IBS no physical abnormalities are  found.  This is why it is called a functional disease.

Once these tests are done, and they are up to the your doctor's discretion, this diagnosis is made.  If your symptoms are very suggestive of IBS your doctor may not want to perform every test. A very helpful test you can take yourself online is http://www.ibsjennifer.com

In diarrhea predominant, ispaghula husks 2-3 sachets daily, anti-diarrheal agents such as Imodium or Lomotil can be used. Anti-spasmotics such as hyoscine OTC may be tried but have side effects. Anti-depressants have possible use as  does peppermint oil (200 mg capsules 2-3/day). There is new and impressive evidence that an antibiotic called rifaximin may be helpful in diarrhea predominant IBS. It is thought that it alters certain bacteria that may cause discomfort or bloating. You may ask your doctor about this. A drug called Alosetron is also used.

Probiotics, good bacteria, such as Activia may be helpful in both types.

There is no scientific evidence to support alternative medicine options.

Some foods may make symptoms worse and you must exclude those that have a bad effect.  Some examples are beans, cabbage, broccoli, carbonated beverages and dairy products. Small frequent meals instead of three large meals may help. For gas and bloating, OTC meds containing simethicone ( Gas-X Mylicon) may help.

There is some very recent research that some foods may cause symptoms. Cut and paste the following article from the Wall St. Journal about the FOBmaps diet:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204554204577023880581820726.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I take levbid everyday this doesnt always happens just the second time the pain starts at my right upper side. It feels like acid spreading through my stomack.

Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
You may have gastritis or even recurrent stone. you need an ultrasound and possibly upper endoscopy.