Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

A 30 year old male friend is a big person (62", 250 lb) but

Customer Question

A 30 year old male friend is a big person (6'2", 250 lb) but suffers from some overweight and low libido. What kind of MD should he consult first with his questions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

the first thing that your friend should do would be to see a good primary care physician or internist for a complete checkup to see if he has any medical or hormonal conditions that may explain his low libido. This can be due to medical conditions which can be treated and corrected. Also there are certain hormone levels that can be tested. This generalist type Dr. can also advise him as to whether or not he has for example high blood pressure or high cholesterol which would indicate that it would be a benefit for him to lose weight. He would then able to recommend any nutritionist for that type of problem. He would have to be motivated of course to lose weight with any kind of diet or exercise program as recommended. He would not need to see a specialist such as an endocrinologist or a urologist at this point unless something in those subspecialties is discovered.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! for your recommendation. How can someone select a "good" PCP or internist for these issues when new to an area such as Los Angeles and does not have a friend pool to ask for recommendations? How does he begin searching for this physician?
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
I do not recommend physicians unless I have personal experience with them. I would suggest you call the local medical Society and get names of primary care physician's in your area. There are many sites on the Internet for you to scan to know whether or not have he had any sanctions or other problems. The next best is to ask around after you become friendly with people in your area.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your suggestions. Your input gives us confidence that we're going in the right direction.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
good luck