Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My right knee onthe side is swelled bigger than my other knee

Customer Question

My right knee onthe side is swelled bigger than my other knee and the muscle connected to it seems to be numb and I have a hard time moving my leg. I haven't had any injury or fallen. This just all of a sudden came up about a week ago and the sympthoms are still the same. What is wrong?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
Is there any pain associated with the swelling?

Is the swelling hard or cystic in type?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It feels semi hard. I'm not in pain but, it is numb but also aches if that makes any sense.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The swollen area is sticking out on the right side of my knee. The numbness travels up toward my hip.
The most common cause of such swelling in your case, since it has started suddenly, is an injury to the knee.

You have perhaps injured it during exercising or some other cause without really noticing it.

The areas you may have injured are:

Illiotibial band: also called runner's knee or Illiotibial band syndrome. It causes pain and swelling on the lateral side of the knee.

Lateral Collateral ligament injury

Lateral Meniscus injury.

All these injuries will cause swelling on the lateral side of the knee and pain during movement.

In most cases, the swelling will resolve by itself. You should use the RICE treatment:
Give rest to the knee for 2 days. Avoid activities like excessive stair climbing, gardening, etc.
Ice: apply ice liberally to the knee.
Compression: use compression bandages on the knee.
Elevation: keep the knee elevated, at night during sleeping put a pillow under the knee.

However, if it persists beyond two days, you should see a doctor.

Since it has been a week now, you need to see a doctor for this. You should preferably see an Orthopedician. You should discuss about these three most likely injuries, and specially Illiotibial band syndrome. You should also discuss about MRI of the knee.

You will need to be investigated for this. With proper diagnosis and treatment, you can get relief from this.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not injured my knee. I don't exercise at all. My knee feels very tight when I bend it.
If there is no injury at all, other possibility is swelling of bursa of the knee.

Bursae are pads of soft tissue that have the function of providing lubrication to the knee joint.

They can become swollen spontaneously, and also with infection, etc.

This needs to be diagnosed as soon as possible - without treatment swelling can be aggravated.

Take care - in this case also the swelling needs to be investigated urgently - bursitis needs to be ruled out.