Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have nocturnal diarrhea....sudden onset. Not every night

I have nocturnal diarrhea....sudden onset. Not every night but twice in the last 5 days. Diarrhea also during the day...no blood, no mucus, no pus. Never had this before. Do not have IBS, Crohn's or diabetes. Did have raw oysters at lunch the day it began 5 days ago. Finally took some Immodium in the middle of last night. Help...awful.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
HI,

Thanks for your question.

Do you have fever, if yes how much?
Is there any excessive foul smell in stool?
Any lower abdominal pain?

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had no fever and no lower abdominal pain other than some "rumbling" and sense of urgency when diarrhea occurs. The diarrhea since Wednesday has been not more than 2 or 3 times a day other than the nocturnal diarrhea. I was fine all day yesterday after only one morning episode and walked 18 holes of golf. Thought it was abating until I awoke at 2 am having soiled the bed. This is weird. Could a course of Flagyl be indicated if this does not resolved with the use of Immodium over the next few days.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your input.

The most likely cause of your symptoms is a viral gastroenteritis.

Flagyl or any other antibiotic is not indicated because the symptoms are not consistent with the bacterial or parasitic infections.

You took immodium which was not a right step to take. Immodium actually doesnot let the waste matters go out of the body and worsen the problem.

You need to stop that immediately.

You should drink lots of fluids like Gatorade .
Should take BRAT diet, Its Banana, Rice, Apple Sauce and Toast.
Usually viral problems go away in 5 days but sometime can stay longer and give it some more days , hopefully you will be ok.

If you develop any of the above symptoms i asked for or the diarrhea persist after 3 days you should get your stool tests done and should get treatment accordingly.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon.

Please ask for any query

Please remember to click accept to compensate me for my time and effort here for you.

Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery