Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Hello, I often hear a whooshing, pulsating sound near my ears.

Customer Question

Hello, I often hear a whooshing, pulsating sound near my ears. It tends to happen if Im lying down. All of a sudden I will get this noise along with a buzzing sound and a instant blocked feeling in one ear which reduces my hearing. This will increase if I lean on my left arm. My chest gets very heavy and I get chest pain which disappears after a while. It feels as though blood has pooled at the top of my arm and chest and across my shoulder. It feels as though it has got worse recently. I'm noticing alot of White spots in my vision if I stand up, walk upstairs or downstairs, if I sit down and with any general movement. I also feel slightly disorientated and I get a tightness in my head and vision. I also get alot of palpitations. I have had this when younger but my vision would go completely grainy. Is this something I should worry about? What could it be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

How long the symptoms are there? How often does it happen? Is there any other symptom? Was any doctor consulted? Was any test done? Any medication was tried?Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The symptoms have been ongoing for a while, but feels worses sometimes. I often feel a deep ear pain which has been persistent and I'm also very sensitive to noise. Never consulted doctor over this issue although have been checked for ear infections which I dont have. I get cold in my legs sometimes and sometimes top of arms and at the top of my back. I get frequent headaches. I also tend to get a lot of chest pain. I have had a chest xray and ECG. The ECG showed palpitations and a fast resting heart rate. They monitored it over a couple of hours but as the xray came back normal I was sent home. No Previous issues of Ill health.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The sound in the ear can be from many causes. Sometimes no cause can be evident too. The causes may be -ear infection, exposure to loud sound, ear wax. At your age other causes like stiffening of bones of the ear are less common. There may be vascular causes like high blood pressure or abnormal blood flow. You have been checked with EKG etc. If your cholesterol has not been checked, you can have that tested. Sometimes anxiety, depression or taking of medicines can cause it. Anxiety & stress can raise the heart rate too. When you are feeling hearing loss occasionally, I would advise to consult an ENT specialist. Any query, please feel free to ask.

It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything I should do? should I ask for any specific tests? I feel that these issues have definitely been affected by my anxiety ive had recently as I've had quite alot of symptoms in relation to lots of things. Thanks for your comments.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 2 years ago.
This is likely to be anxiety related when you are having the symptoms occasionally. But I would suggest to get an examination by an ENT specialist to be safe. He can take hearing tests or audiometry if he thinks necessary.
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, further on from this question I am still experiencing the heart beat in my ear however for the past couple of days I have had throbbing aching pain down my face, in my ear, behind my eye,under my jaw near my ear and down my neck, it feels very tender all along this and if i touch my skin in front of my ear the whooshing noise in my ear gets worse. This us all on my left side. I've also got tingling and slight numbness in my cheek. Please advise on what this could be. Should I go see my doctor or is it something that could get better on it's own? Thanks in advance
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 2 years ago.
I would advise you to get it checked by your doctor. This needs a thorough examination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you think it could be? Could I wait til next week to go to doctors or should I get an emergency appointment?