Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a tender lump on the left side of my butthole. Have you ever heard of this type of

I have a tender lump on the left side of my butthole. Have you ever heard of this type of hemorrhoid? All I've been hearing about is the internal or external but IF this is a hemorrhoid, mine doesn't fit neither description. Because if I put my finger up my anus I don't feel the lump. But if I open my butt cheeks and feel just to the left of the butthole, I feel a hard tender lump. And I feel the itching actually in the butthole though. I have an appt later this month but very concerned. Have you every heard of a hemorrhoid like that? This hemorrhoid issue started in the middle of November and there was no lump at that time. My butthole was just itchy, felt swollen and painful. It wasn't until after using the hydrocortozone that I realized a painful lump forming. It's like the hemorrhoids came back with a vengence. It's been almost two months now all together. Haven't been in to see doctor yet, I just called and he gave me a prescription based on my initial symptoms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you have trouble with constipation?

Q. Have you seen this lump in the mirror?

Q. Does it appear to be like half a grape?

Q. Is this lump painful to touch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no trouble with constipation at all so was very surprised when I initially got the hemorrhoid back in the middle of November. No bleeding at all that I've noticed anyways. I've actually been trying to be healthy since like March of 2011, eating as good as possible and excersising regularly so I am completely at a loss for what would be causing pressure because I don't strain to poop. The lump in tender to touch, like sometimes it's painful to sit on that side. And I cannot see a lump at all in the mirror. I can only feel the lump, just to the left of my butthole. And yes, probably about the size of a half grape at least I would say. Again, it wasn't there at first but after I used the hydrocortizone suppositories, it seems like the hemorrhoids came back worse, this time with the lump. Again, I can't get an appt to see the specialist until 1/23/12 so I just want to know if you've ever even heard of a hemorrhoid like this. I'm wondering if it's a cyst or ingrown hair or something becasue that does kind of run in the women in my family. we get bumps sometime with our cycles like on the lip of the vagina, in between the thigh, on the butt, etc. But I've never had one right by my butthole. But that's what it feels like, an ingrown hair (and I do have a hairy butthole). I know it's graphic but I want to give you as much information as possible.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

Does this lump hurt when you pass stools?

How far away can you feel it from the anus?

Is it firm, soft or hard to touch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't really hurt when I pass stools. And I would say it is right by the anus. Just to the left side of it. Right by it. But again, I don't feel the lump inside the anus and I can't see it on the outside. It seems like it's internal but on the other side of the wall if you know what I mean? Not where I can feel it by sticking my finger up there. I would say it is firm/hard to touch, but again, feels the same as a lump from an ingrown hair would be. It's tender.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
External haemorrhoids do not present like this, they are not tender nor firm or hard. They are usually right by the anus and can be seen outside as skin tags.
Internal haemorrhoids can not be felt outside the anus at all, the walls of the anus and the gluteal area are separated by sphincters and fat.
A perianal cyst is a possible diagnosis for this. This could be a sinus connected from within and just about to communicate outside. This usually happens early in the course of a perianal fistula formation, people with haemorrhoids often suffer from perianal fistulas as well.
An ingrown hair is also a possibility, and differentiating between both will need a physical examination (digital rectal exam) and a proctoscopy.
Since, you mentioned having ingrown hair problems in the family and priorly as well, I would place that on top of the differentials list but a perianal sinus/fistula comes next.
These need to be ruled out since the treatment varies.
Meanwhile, I suggest a high fiber diet, an anti inflammatory like Aleve 500 mg twice daily and application of Hydrocortisone 1 percent ointment thrice daily for the itch.
Add two table spoons of metamucil thrice a day to your diet.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.

Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only part I don't understand of this is when you said "this could be a sinus connected from within and just about to communicate outside" What exactly does that mean, specifically the "just about to communicate outside" part?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

There is a condition that often accompanies haemorrhoids, it is known as a perianal fistula. A fistula is an epithelialized communication between two cavities. One end of the fistula opens in the anal canal and the other end tracts up to the perianal area. Before a fistula develops its communication with the perianal skin, a cyst forms, this cysts swells and inflames as the skin resists rupture.
I am not giving a diagnosis here, just one of the possibilities with your symptoms which needs to be ruled out.
Hope this helps.

Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thank you. One last round of questions: IF this is a perianal fistula, is this something that goes away on it's own? if so, how long does it usually take? Also, I have an appt with the specialist on 1/23/12, would you say that is too long to wait to get it checked out, IF it is in fact that. In other words, is a perianl fistula something that should get addressed immediately, or would a couple of weeks be okay to wait? I understand this is NOT a diagnosis, I'm just saying, let's say it is in fact that, do I need to address it right away? Also, this is not a form of an infection is it? (I don't have a fever or anything just curious if I would need antibiotics for something like that, or what are the treatments for that?)

Okay, that should do it.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
No, a perianal fistula is not an emergency and you can wait to see your doctor at the scheduled appointment.
This is not an infection, so you will not require antibiotics.
This does not go away on its own. A small procedure done under locoregional or spinal anesthesia is required to alleviate it. This procedure is known as a fistulectomy.
Hope this helps.

Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.