Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I feel like I have a hair on my tongue and something in my

Customer Question

I feel like I have a hair on my tongue and something in my throat. I saw an ENT she checked my throat and it is wnl. I was prescribed Nexium (I took Prilosec instead d/t price) for 4 weeks. The sensation in the throat has gone away, but I still continue to have the tongue sensation. I am on Atenolol/chlorthalidone for htn and mvp. I was wondering if I should try another htn med to see if this might help? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Taking the Prilosec and it helping with the throat sensation means you have acid reflux most likely at night coming up and irritating your throat and back of tongue. Nexium is a stronger antacid medication than Prilosec

You can also try sleeping in a more inclined position and not eating close to bed time

This might help the tongue sensation
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your prompt response, however would it be possible to have my s/s reviewed by a gastro-enterologist. This does not have to be completed today. Thank you
1/9: more info.
~I have had no consistent/chronic s/s reflux w/ burning sensation (maybe 2 episodes/12 mo)
~ >1 yr occas had vague feeling in chest. thot it was related to MVP or palps but HR wnl and EKG during yrly physical wnl. Since taking prilosec this is gone.
~w/i past yr upon am wakening have had slightly sore throat w/o any other cold s/s.
~occas during sleep have been awakened with dry cough; no other resp s/s dev.
~last week I was awakened with sensation of reflux(fluid in throat), but there was no burning sensation in my throat
I think my s/s probably do indicate ERD. Should I verify this was a diag test?
The reason I asked about changing my htn med is that I have read/heard about 2 instances where this type of med caused similar oral sensations. Also I had s/w 4 pharmacists and they assured me that prilocsec was a comparable med to nexium which would cost me $220 per month.
I have had this sensation that something/a hair was on my tongue for about 8 months.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had replied asking if my s/s could be reviewed by a GI dr and was told that my question was sent to another dr. Sorry, I did not realize you were waiting for a response.