DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

I have numbness 1st and second fingers of right hand. Sudden

I have numbness 1st and second fingers of right hand. Sudden onset. A week later I noticed numbness in little finger of left hand. Two weeks after that I noticed numbness across the entire left hemisphere of my head - felt like a dental injection. Numbness in head has not reappeared in a week but hands have been constant. Today I went to walk out of my kitchen, realised I'd forgotten cutlery and turned around to get them - it caused tremendous nausea. Felt sick all day. My memory and speech are also a little strange. On Xmas day I received half a dozen presents I had zero recollection of asking for and I'm subject to missing out parts of words or replacing part of a word with the wrong syllable. I've had two CT scans, both clear, neither were with contrast dye. My neurology appointment isn't for another two months. Any recommendations hugely appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
What is age?

Any medical illness i.e diabetes?

When was CT -scan DONE?

Are you on any medication?

What kind of doctor have you been to ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

High Cholesterol for which I take Simvastatin 40mg no other known illness except sluggish bowel, often constipated.

Ct scans Dec 1st and Dec 16th

GP and casualty doctor. GP advised 75mg aspirin daily also.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
since when you have these symptoms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nov 29th
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all the information.

There are few causes that can cause such numbess. These are :

Ulnar Nerve Entrapment -Compression of ulnar nerve results in numbness, tingling and weakness in the small finger, the side of the ring finger (next to the small finger) and the part of the palm (both front and back sides) that is beneath these fingers,

Peripheral Neuropathy- it is caused by nerve damage, is characterized by numbness in hands and feet.

Multiple Sclerosis – it can cause a wide range of symptoms that may not be similar for all the affected people.

Cervical Spondylosis- in this there is stiffness and pain in the neck that radiate to the shoulders, arms and chest.

Insufficient or total blockage of blood supply to the fingers can cause this condition or Brain damage caused by a mini stroke or stroke.

You need to get x-ray of cervical spine and if possible MRI to look for spine problem.

CT is not sensitive to pick up early changes or MS or a small stroke.

You should get MRI of brain.

Meanwhile you should take proper rest and avoid undue exertion and stress.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've had 11 dental impants. Can I still have an MRI?

Also Ulnar nerve / blood supply to fingers does not answer numbness in face...does ulnar affect right hand, middle and index fingers?

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
If implants are MRI compatible you can go for an MRI. They will cause distortion and artifacts in images but will definitely provide information and help in diagnosis. MRI of cervical spine can be also done.

Ulnar nerve compression does not explain that numbness on face.

Can be due to cervical disc disease of disease effecting central nervous system.

Evaluation by a neurologist is required asap , if there is worsening of symptoms.