Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Is there any way kale and/or spinach could cause a one-time

Is there any way kale and/or spinach could cause a one-time episode of explosive diarrhea? I've had a six-month case of loose bowels which just now seems to be getting back to normal when this happened. I'd had scrambled eggs with kale and parmesan cheese cubes about 4 or 5 hours earlier. All the other ingredients were items which I eat regularly withouy problem. I'm 66 and otherwise healthy.

Susan
Ontario
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.

Did you just have one episode of explosive diarrhea and now back to normal. Just want to make sure.

Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
It is unlikely that kale would cause one time episode.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

While you did answer my initial question, for $55 I thought you might have given me some other suggestions I could try or at least consider. That is why I added a summary of the whole problem.

What is the reason for holding my deposit? I understood JustAnswer would get the money if I agreed you had helped or returned it if I wasn't satisfied. I'm now regretting asking the question since I could've just tried the kale again.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
I had Asked for more information and when you did not respond with the information with the understanding that I had I replied that it is unlikely for kale causes a one time episode of diarrhea. It was not clear to me if that was what had occurred. If you had eaten a vegetable whether it is Spinach or kale that was contaminated with some type of virus or bacteria then clearly this could be responsible for a one time episode of diarrhea however normally neither of these vegetables unless contaminated will cause one explosive episode of diarrhea.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did answer your question about whether it was a one time episode but it appears you didn't receive it. To repeat, today it just happened once. Overall, the only other time was back in late June at the beginning of this whole problem. I had eaten a veggie sandwich with cream cheese and 20 minutes later had the explosive diarrhea. It did not happen again - and I have eaten cream cheese often - until today. I've had regular diarrhea 2 to 4 times a week from July to December. The rest of the BMs were loose but formed stools.

I now have a February appt with a gastroenterologist.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion. With this understanding it is unlikely that you had contaminated greens both back in late June and this past episode. It is my opinion that the explosive diarrhea was not due to the vegetable but rather severe spasm of the colon. The spasm which could have caused this probably has caused you to have diverticulosis of the colon and a chronic spastic colon which gives you the periods of diarrhea for the past 6 months. When you see the gastroenterologist he will probably order a stool culture, test your stool for hidden blood and schedule you for a colonoscopy to exclude inflammatory bowel disease and the diagnosis the diverticulosis if it is present. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.