Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have knee pain its more like a dull toothache in my leg on

I have knee pain its more like a dull toothache in my leg on the joint inside the leg and also tender in the muscle by the side of it going up my leg its not getting any better doctor seems to think its arthritis but i dont think so. Its there all the time not just when i walk either, had it for about 3-4 weeks now. I havent done anything to it that i am aware of either had problems iwith my left leg kind of siatic had mri which showed nothing much but left leg was fine then. Cant sleep now with it getting worried.

Sandra
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Sandra,

I am sorry you are suffering from knee pain...
Since you do not think it is arthritis, is there something specific you are worried that it is?
Is there any knee swelling?
Have you had any xrays of your knee?
Was the MRI that was done on your back or your knee? When was it done?
Is there any redness to the knee?
Do you have any stiffness in the knee when you get up in the morning?
Does it feel like it is going to give out on you?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no redness or swelling that i can see of. It constantly aches and i am taking diclofenic with two co-codamols still just takes edge off of it. Havent had any x-rays or anything done on it yet. |Had mri done on right leg January last year says notrmal study but it did say tarlpov cysts noted what does that mean? No stiffness in the mornin g and it doesnt feel as it its going to give out on me either.Just worried what if its a tumor?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you...

First, tarlov cysts are fluid filled sacs that are found (usually incidentally, meaning they usually don't cause symptoms) at the bottom of the spine.
These fluid filled sacs can, occasionally, put pressure on the nerves, however. If this happens, it can cause radiating pain down the leg. It appears that your cysts were not pressing on the nerves since your study was deemed normal...

Arthritis in the knee can, in some cases, be quite severe. But, without morning stiffness, this makes arthritis less likely to be the cause of your pain. Usually, someone with arthritis will fulfill at least three of these six criteria along with their knee pain:

Greater than 50 years of age
Morning stiffness for less than 30 minute
Cracking and popping of the knee
Tenderness over the bones of the knee
Bony enlargement
No warmth to the knee

If you have three of these symptoms, you then are more likely to have arthritis.

A tumor of the knee is (ie bone cancer) is much more common in children but there are some forms that can occur in adults. I cannot tell you that it is not a tumor but it is much less likely to be this than arthritis.

I do think that your doctor should order an xray of your knee. This will give you an indication as to whether arthritis is present (or, in the unlikely case, a tumor). Given the amount of pain medication you are requiring, further workup should be done in my opinion. If your doctor does not seem to be wanting to do the workup, see an orthopedic specialist if you can.

If you have arthritis, there are other treatments--bracing, injections and physical therapy.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!