Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I accidentally took another dose of my blood pressure medicine.

I accidentally took another dose of my blood pressure medicine. I took my first dose as usual this morning at breakfast at 9:30am. I was in the middle of a conversation with my wife and without thinking I I took the second dose (just a few minutes ago by accident (14 hours later)). I take three different meds. 12.5 mg of hydrochlorothiazide, 100 mg of toprol and 32mg of Atacand. I am worried about going to sleep. Right now my blood pressure is actually 150/80 probably because I'm nervous about this. I would appreciate a response.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Which one of the three medicines have you taken or have you taken all those? How is your pulse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken all three. That is my regular daily dosage. My pulse is currently 70 which is above average for me
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

As you have taken all the medicines it is likely that the pressure will go down. I feel it is safer to go to ER now. At home you can not take any medicine to increase the pressure. You should go to hospital for observation. If you want to stay at home, your wife should closely monitor the pulse and blood pressure every half an hour If it goes below 100/60 or earlier if you develop any symptom like dizziness, lightheadedness, palpitation, you should go to ER. Any query, please feel free to ask.

It will be my privilege to assist you.