Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

I have had a pain below my shoulder blade and above waist on

I have had a pain below my shoulder blade and above waist on right side on back since 11 p.m. I threw up 3 times and have some gas. The pain subsided for a little bit but is back and constant and hurts. I was reading in bed and when I stood up at 11 p.m. to put my book up, it just came on me. What can this be? I'm 64 and female, in good health.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Do you have associated symptoms like chest pain/ difficulty in breathing/ weakness, numbness at the right hand/ cough? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of the above you mentioned. I am belching some, have some gas, and feel like I may throw up again. It may have been what I ate at a restaurant for dinner about 5 p.m. BUT I don't understand why I have this pain continually below shoulder blade and above waist on back of right side.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

I am relieved a bit on knowing that your do not have any symptoms pointing to cardiac element.

In your case I would first think of irritation of the stomach with associated reflux. The cause can be food you had for the dinner/ infection or excess acid secretion. The pain of right below the scapula likely indicates stomach and esophagus region. Other causes I would like to consider is muscle sprain {jerk when you got up to keep the book}/ renal abnormality {calculus} or irritation of the nerve at the dorsal spine level.

A physical evaluation along with few investigations like upper GI scopy/ MRI dorsal spine/ ultrasound of abdomen will give us more answers.

As of now - have a glass of cold milk - to sooth the stomach mucosa. Avoid alcohol, smoking or spicy food. Keep yourself hydrated {sucking on ice cube helps}. Warm compress will relieve pain.

Few signs should prompt ER visit {although I do not think it will be needed} - sudden increase in severity of pain/ blood in vomitus/ loss of consciousness or dizziness/ distention of abdomen.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon.

God bless

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I try to take a Tagamet (which I take for acid reflux AS NEEDED)with a glass of water? The only thing, I don't know if I can keep this down as I feel like I am going to throw up again. Are you fairly certain it is not gall bladder or appendicitis? The pain in my back on right side is what concerns me. If I was just having gas, belching, or vomiting I would think it was what I ate tonight.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Gall bladder pain will generally come up with pain at right upper abdomen/ appendix will present with severe pain at right lower abdomen - anteriorly. Pain at back {infra-scapular region and abdomen} makes me think of reflux/ gaseous distention of colon or renal abnormality first before gall bladder issue.

Antacids may help too.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just tried to throw up several times but nothing came up (nothing left in stomach I guess). The pain is what concerned me as I've never had pain in this area before. I'll go lay back down on some heat and a cold cloth on my face (which always seems to help). Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I am more worried for dehydration. You need to keep yourself hydrated. Raise the head part of your bed - this will help too.