Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

How can you reduce Lipase level? It is 614. Is there medication

How can you reduce Lipase level? It is 614. Is there medication available. Amalase is within the normal range.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

no, there are no mediations to decrease lipase.

the only treatment is to resolve the issue which elevated the lipase. lipase can be elevated becaue of many issues. was your lipase elevated because of pancreas inflammation and alcohol use? how much alcohol were you drinking before? if you have reduced your alcohol intake, this will eventually calm down the pancreatic inflammation if it is pancreatitis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David.

I originally sought medical help because I lost about 10 pounds over the course of nine months. All blood work and resulting tests were normal, including liver enzymes, etc., except for the lipase, which has steadily increased despite only limited alcohol intake. And I mean very limited. Prior to that, I would drink moderately only.

There are no symptoms associated with pancreatitis, no blood in stool, no nausea, no trouble eating or digesting, no abdominal pain. Nothing. I don't know the issue that elevated the lipase.

I have gained eight pounds in the last few months and still gaining, so I'm searching for any answers that might explain the elevated lipase.

Are there any other issues that I should check? After the colonoscopy, the doctor who performed the procedure asked why I had it done, and I explained the weight loss issue and possible pacreatitis and he told me to keep looking. Combine this with the CT being normal, and after the endoscopy, the same doc said there was a minor stomach irritation and I was prescribed omeprazole (40 mg 1x)and still on it.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Mark

Mark

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
sometimes we don't find the reason for the elevated lipase.

if you pass a small gall stone this can elevate lipase. if you have a small bit of pancreas inflammation, you can have elevated lipase.

if your lipase is coming down, whatever caused it is resolving so that is good.

I wouldn't sweat the lipase too much. if all the testing is normal, that is fine.

good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually, the lipase went up, from 541 to 614 in the last three months. All the other testing is normal, and I am told to test it again in the next three months.

So just wait it out and not to sweat it?

Mark

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
541 up to 614 is not a huge jump. if you are asymptomatc that is good. you have had a colonoscopy and CT scan and lab work already.

yes, I would agree with your doctors and get repeat testing and just keep watching and try not to stress too much about it.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.