Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I am taking Apo-Sulfatrim DS 800/160. I was prescribed this

I am taking Apo-Sulfatrim DS 800/160. I was prescribed this for an infected wound on my abdomen. I have taken it over two weeks, I am suposed to take it for four weeks. The side affects are getting very bad now, vomiting, nausea, severe headaches that I would like to change that if at all possible. The wound no londer shows any signs of infecten. I was wondering if maybe I could take only one a day and not two.
I am in Germany on holidays and can't ask my doctor for advice.
Thank you so much
Iris Stanley
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

If the wound does not show any sign of infection, has healed up and you are having side effects you may not need to continue it. But you need to get the wound checked by doctor there. Then the doctor can evaluate it. The medicine can be totally stopped or another antibiotic can be prescribed by considering the side effects.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
To take just 1 tablet a day would not be beneficial?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

You are getting the normal dose of the medicine. Low dose is usually prescribed as a preventive treatment in chronic infection.Now you are having side effects from it, you should get the wound checked by doctor in person. This will help to determine whether it can be stopped or another antibiotic needs to be started.