Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

i have acidic burning of the skin around the anus and buttocks

Customer Question

i have acidic burning of the skin around the anus and buttocks after a bowel movement. Some days are worse than others. The burning is similar to the acid burn of a jelly fish. I am showering immediately after and even the water flow and soap intensify the burning. Over the rest of the day, it heals; but, the next morning is a repeat.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

What you have is most likely hemorrhoids that are being pushed out after a BM.

These can cause intense burning and itching. The enema is basically cleaning you out and relaxing the anus so the hemorrhoids don't push out.

One key is to take a stool softener orally to loosen the stools. This will help.

Also, you should go to the drugstore or see your doctor and get some cream to sooth the inflammation.

Finally if none of this works, you probably need to see a doctor to have them removed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have had hemorrhoids in my younger days and know the type of pain associated. It is not the acidic burn that i have described for you. What creates an ACID burn after a bowel movement? again, the burn is similar to a burn from a jelly fish.

If you have had hemorrhoids then that makes hemorrhoids even more likely.

I am sorry you don't like my reply but I am quite certain this is the problem.

You need to do what I suggested and also see a doctor for an exam.

He will confirm the hemorrhoids.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have seen a doctor. I have had a colonoscopy. The pain from a hemorrhoid is substantially different from what i have described to you. The burning pain occurs ON THE SKIN after the bowel movement. It is an acidic feeling burn ON THE SKIN of the exterior buttock area. I believe there to be some element of the feces that is creating this burn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
exterior burning of the skin is not a hemorrhoid. anything else?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.

Burning of the skin is clearly not do to a hemorrhoid which would easily be palpable. This is occurring from irritation of the stool. This may come from certain dietary factors which may not even be obvious. Most often spicy foods will cause this to happen but even with the elimination of spicy foods it may still occur from the breakdown products of a normal diet. I would suggest the following. After each bowel movement carefully wipe the skin with TUCKS which are cotton pads-soaked in witch hazel. This will help clean the area and also help soothe the inflammation that has become sensitive to the stool. You can also leave a pad in place during the day. After doing this for a week to 10 days if the problem still exists you may try placing steroid cream on the skin to reduce the irritation. If this fails try to eliminate certain things from your diet to see if there is improvement. A final suggestion would be to ask your doctor to culture the skin around the anus to exclude a fungus which would be treated differently.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What things would you eliminate from your diet?What fungus might create the burning?thanks.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
I would first suggest that you start with anything that could possibly be spicy or irritating. In other words try to take a bland diet. Starch food and cereals would be acceptable as would meat and most proteins. I would avoid tomatoes or tomato sauce as that can be the culprit. Also citrus products can irritate along with vinegar. Anything that is acidic or spicy should be first eliminated. just consider what you are eating and try to limit what you think would irritate you. There aren't different types of fungus similar to jock itch for example, that can cause this problem and can be fairly easily treated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i appreciate your service.I assume that antibiotics are the only treatment for the fungus? When you say easily treated, is there another treatment for fungus?Would you eliminate sugar or coffee from the diet?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
You mean anti-fungal not anti bacterial. Most often topicals will cure it but oral pills can be given. Sugar and coffee would be down on the list of irritants.

Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
hello,
When
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
Burning around the anus can occur due to a variety of causes.It can be there due to irritation of the skin around the anus due to bile salts in the stool,faecal incontinence,anal fissure,spicy foods like capsicum and pepper, also irritant foods like citrus/vinegar,pin worms and other causes of pruritis ani,hemorrhoids or weakened veins around the anus,overwashing the area with soap and water and allergy due to detergents/other cosmetics or allergens like deoderants,skin diseases like eczema/psoriasis/seborrhoiec dermatitis/pilonidal cyst,sexually transmitted infections like gonorrhea/genital herpes/chlamydia,bacterial dermatititis like streptococcal dermatitis,fungal infections like tinea crura/corporis and lastly rectal prolapse.Foods to avoid would include coffee,beer,red wine,garlic pizza,italian sauces,curries,carbonated water and drinks,hot pepper,chocolates,fatty meats,black pepper, citrus fruits .Safe foods would include bananas,chicken,fish,bread,potatoes,rice,tea,cereals,eggs,vegetables,cheese.Avoiding stress and smoking may help as psychosomatic causes of pruritis ani are known.Avoid laxatives and mineral oils,a high fibre diet will help as constipation may increase the local irritation.