Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

Sudden pain in calf; felt like something "popped" in the back

Sudden pain in calf; felt like something "popped" in the back of left calf. No visible discoloration. Pain and cramping. What should we do? Is aspirin okay?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. I would like to say that there are few important possibilities which should be investigated such as sudden clot formation in the leg or achilles tendonitis & even risk of rupture achilles tendon. You can give the patient Tab. Motrin or Aspirin available OTC. I will also highly advise the patient to visit ER for immediate evaluation & some tests might be needed such as x-ray leg to rule out any injury or fracture, doppler scan of leg. Early evaluation in ER is highly suggested. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Do accept the answer in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Positive feedback and bonuses will be appreciated.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks; the pain is in upper calf, in the area with largest circumfrence. This is well above the ankle; closer to the knee. Would that rule out achilles tendonitis? If it is a clot or DVT, should I expect immediate swelling?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
If it is in the upper calf then clot formation or DVT should be investigated as swelling can come later on because most of the time pain is the initial symptom. Due to the symptoms I am telling you it require immediate evaluation. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.