911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

vein in my right wrist is swelling..stinging numbung pain in the vain

Customer Question

The vein in my right wrist is swelling up and then I experience a stinging numbung pain in the vain that stays for a few seconds and then goes away. It comes and goes. It is just this one spot in the vein that swells up and starts to pain. Should I be worried.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Is this on the side of your wrist that your palm is on or on the other side?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Do your fingers get tingly with this?

What do you do for work or for a hobby? Any repetitive hand movements?

Standing by

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is on the Palm side, about 2cm down the arm from where the hand ends. The Vein moves from the top of the right hand side down past the middle. The pain happens in the part of the vein that crossed the middle part of my wrist. It is a dark colour vein and the vein is thicker than most of the veins I can see in my wrist. The pain happens in this vein it self when it swells up and start having a stinging pain. This part of the vein also changes colour for a little while (when the sting happens) and goes from dark blue to a light red shade. It then changes back to normal colour and size.

I suffer from Ashma.

My finger have no pain or tingles. My palm does feel a bit tingly as well as my forearm.

I have a desk job, so work alot on PC with a mouse. But this doesn't just happen while I am at work it happens random even on a weekend when I am at work.

Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

have you seen your physician about this? this is confusing indeed as veins don't typically move, but tendons do.

standing by.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure if this is something serious or not, should I be worried. Could it be the tendon under the vein that is making the vein do these weird things.

If I push on the part of the vein that hurts there is a tendon running down.

Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

There is something called VASCULITIS which occurs for reasons we do not fully understand.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is this. This is unlikely to be anything dangerous, but clearly SOMETHING is happening, and, it is time to let your doctor see this abnormality WHEN it is occurring. They will be able to get a much better idea if this is something that involves a vein or if it is a musculoskeletal problem to do with the multiple tendons that run from the forearm into the wrist and hand.

I wish I could get closer than that, but to do so I would need to see you and examine you. Ultimately, if this IS a vein, as you suggest, it may be necessary to do a biopsy of the vein to see if you do have vasculitis, and if you do, then the question is why.

In the meantime, I would be using warm compresses on the area four times a day and using an anti inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen or naprosyn on a regular basis to see if this helps with your symptoms.

I am standing by if you have further questions.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Will follow your advice and if symptoms dont subside or get worse will book a visit with my doctor.
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

you are more than welcome. hope you get a good resolution soon.

thanks for your question.