Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have had a heaviness in my chest all day-not a pain but a

Customer Question

I have had a heaviness in my chest all day-not a pain but a weird heaviness-I am 42-any ideas what it could be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

Does heaviness worsens on doing any activity or reduces in severity on rest? Do you have associated symptoms like difficulty in breathing/ pain at the arm,shoulder, jaw or abdomen/ reflux or cough? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no it stays the same all the time-I have a heart murmur but I never found that out for a long time-never knew I had it till they did a cardiogram thing.it has never affected anything I have done though.No difficulty iin breathing no coughing-just heaviness .The dr. that told me that I have a heart murmur told me it was there but that it was nothing to worry about that was more than 10 yrs ago
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Heaviness at chest {even though not associated with pain} worries me. I would like to rule out cardiac element as my first thought. Reduced blood flow to cardiac muscles presents with feeling of heaviness at chest. If it goes severe then it may be associated with pain and difficulty in breathing.

Other causes like irritation of esophagus {may be due to reflux/ increased acid production}/ excess gas formation at the bowel loops - pushing the diaphragm and causing heaviness or some abnormality at the lungs.

If I were you I would get a physical evaluation {sooner the better} along with few investigations like EKG/ blood tests, ultrasound of abdomen/ chest x ray and upper GI scopy to give more answers.

Till then - take rest/ avoid exercise/ have balanced diet and adequate fluid.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon.

God bless

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I would like a 2nd opinion
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any difficulty in breathing? Any cough?

Is the heaviness more when you lie down or is it present all the time?

Does it worsen after you eat or is relieved by eating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no difficulty breathing,no cough,

no heaviness is just there all the time

no stays the same eating and after eating

The commonest cause for heaviness in the chest without any other symptom is acid reflux. While you may not feel the burning typically felt in acid reflux, the acid can cause mild inflammation of the esophagus causing the heavy feeling.

Another cause is esophageal spasms. The cause of esophageal spasm is unknown. Very hot or very cold foods may trigger an episode in some people.

A very serious cause is cardiac congestion - this can cause heaviness with no added symptoms. Since you already have a heart murmur, the risks of cardiac congestion is high.

While the previous two causes are not very serious, it will be better to get a checkup as early as possible to rule out the last one.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so do you think it is cardiac congestion-considering I am not in any real pain-just the heaviness?If I went to a walk-in clinic do you think they could check for cardiac congestion?
Yes, this could be cardiac congestion even without any pain and a walk in clinic should be able to detect that you have a cardiac problem and advice you go for an ECG.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I would like a doctor to answer my question-the last doctor was a gynecologist-please just let a regular dr answer my question please
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 3 years ago.

With a history of a heart murmur, it is very likely that the feeling of heaviness in your chest is due to cardiac problems especially cardiac congestion.

Please consult a doctor as early as possible for an ECG.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I know you are not satisfied because you are not getting an answer which you think is right. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

In nutshell - I would again press for ruling out the cardiac element as my first bet and most worrisome.

Best
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer, Greetings.Of all the possible causes of heaviness of the chest,the most serious and potentially dangerous and preventable cause which needs to be ruled out is Cardiac Ischaemia or lack of blood supply to the heart muscle.This may be due to any cause like a arterial spasm of the coronary vessels,due to a clot formation,due to Atherosclerosis and plaque formation or due to Hyperlipidaemia .This is important as if allowed to progress,this may result in death of heart muscle(secondary to Myocardial Infarction/MI or a heart Attack) which can be saved by prompt action.Hence the stress on ruling out the cardiac element,as mentioned by my fellow expert Dr.Ken, in any chest discomfort or heaviness/pain.Other causes which need evaluation would be GERD/Oesophagitis,Gastritis or Acid Pepsin disease,Gall bladder disease,Pancreatitis,pleural infection secondary to lung disease, and the most common cause of chest wall pain and discomfort-Musculoskeletal strain secondary to muscle spasm or rib strain.A physical examination by your doctor and a ECG,a upper GI tract endoscopy,lab biochemical and cardiac enzyme test, and a Ultrasound scan will probably help reach the exact cause.Subsequent treatment will be specific to the cause found.