Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

My throat is swollen as are my neck glands, hurt to swallow.

My throat is swollen as are my neck glands, hurt to swallow. no fever sudden onset no other symptoms. do i put on compresses?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any pus spots on your tonsils?
I know you stated no other symptoms but I want to confirm that you are not having any cough, congestion or body aches, correct?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tonsils removed. No spots in mouth & no pronounced reddness. Really swollen under my jaw--actually alarming size and tender lumps/glands. Hurts and feels cloggy in my ears. no cough, nose is running
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you suspect is wrong and do i need to see a doctor in person or will this run its course w/o intervention??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I get medical advice I paid for please?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you...

I am sorry that you are feeling so poorly.
While sore throats in adults are usually viral, you are not describing the typical viral symptoms of a cold (unless you are feeling significant nasal congestion and not just a bit of a runny nose).
The significantly enlarged glands may be due to a bacterial infection or mono (which is viral...it is not as common in adults as it is in teens, however).
Mono also causes fatigue. If you are feeling overwhelming fatigue, mono should be considered.

If you are not feeling any better tomorrow, I recommend seeing your doctor for an exam given the amount of gland enlargement you are describing.

For now, warm compresses are not going to do much. I do not recommend continuing, especially given the fact that you felt worse after the application.

Ibuprofen, warm and/or cold fluids, throat lozenges and sprays are the over the counter treatments that should give you some symptom relief.

If you can find an herbal tea called Throat Coat, this also should help soothe the sore throat.

Again, I do recommend that you follow up with your GP tomorrow if you are not any better.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had contrast dye with cat scan tues (late aftenoon). my throat and gums hurt yesterday but the swelling began today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

in your edical opinion, could what I'm experiencng be a reaction to contrast dye from a cat scan 30 hours ago?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In your medical opinion, could this be a reaction to the contrast dye in the cat scan 30 hours ago???
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I don't think this sounds like a contrast dye allergy, although a delayed reaction can occur days later.

The more serious reactions do not cause swelling of the glands...they cause swelling of the tongue and throat/airways.

If you are feeling swelling of the tongue/throat to the point where you cannot swallow your own saliva or you are feeling shortness of breath, you need to go to the emergency room.

You can try taking a benadryl to see if this makes any difference. I do not think it will have any effect on the swollen glands but, other than making you sleepy and possibly a dry mouth, it won't hurt you (unless you take other medications that it may interact with).

Dr Abby

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
To clarify your throat swelling--does your throat feel like it is closing shut?