PK
PK, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

I have been having pain in my hip when I lie down at night.

I have been having pain in my hip when I lie down at night. My right hip and it radiates into my leg - the only time it really bothers me is when I lie down at night. I put a pillow between my legs to try to take some pressure off but it doesn't help. when I press into the upper part of my buttocks just left to the side of my hip I feel some pain there. What is causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  PK replied 2 years ago.

PK :

PK :

Welcome to just answer.

PK :

Please enter the chat .

Customer:

Hello PK.

PK :

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort .

PK :

Since when do you have this pain ?

Customer:

For about 4 months.

PK :

Do you have any complaints apart from the pain ?

Customer:

No. It started to bother me a little during the day yesterday which was a first; otherwise, it only hurts when I lay down at night and keeps me from sleeping well.

PK :

Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Customer:

I have been on the same med for about two years - Citalopram - it helps with keeping the hot flashes away. Otherwise, i have been very healthy. I have been exercising off and on most of my life, although, not in the last few months - too busy. The only other thing I have noticed as joint pain is my knees - I never jog anymore, because when I do, my knees will bother me. I am 5 ft. 6 in. and weigh about 180 - overweight but not extremely.

PK :

Thank you for the information .

PK :

There are a few causes that could cause the complaints that you have .

PK :

This could be a nerve issue .....nerve compression in the lower back can cause the pain that you have

PK :

These happen as a result of arthritic changes in the lower back

PK :

An X ray and MRI of the lower back helps investigate this further .

PK :

Physical therapy under the guidance of a chiropractor helps get relief .

PK :

Medications like tylenol helps as well.

PK :

Thus you should take the medication and if the pain continues then you should get it investigated with the investigations I mentioned

PK :

I hope you are getting my point ?

Customer:

Yes. I understand. I have been treated by a chiropractor before. It's just been difficult to keep it up consistently. I just want to make sure that there is no chance that this could be anything more serious - bone cancer or anything like that? You definitely think this is a nerve problem?

PK :

It does seem like a nerve issue

PK :

Though we need the investigations to confirm

Customer:

Ok. thank you for your help. I will accept this answer.

PK :

You are welcome

Customer:

Ok.

PK :

Please follow up with your doctor if the pain continues .

PK :

I wish you all the best ,a speedy recovery and great health .
Take care and god bless.

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions.
Do let me know if you have any further doubts.
Please click on the green accept button if this answers you as it is only then that will I be credited for my work.
Thank you

Customer:

Thank you. I will . Have a nice day.

PK, Doctor
Experience: MD