Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have swelling and pain under the base of my left rib cage,

I have swelling and pain under the base of my left rib cage, my rib cage is raised in that area. Its been on and off foe a month or so but now the last few days its constant, I also started with a low grade fever today(99.5) My doctor can't see me till next Monday, should I try to see someone else sooner?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.

is the swelling painful, tender, and can you actually feel an enlarged mass or is this discomfort actually in the rib and is the knee rib cage itself raised or is it internal? Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pain is like a toothache and increases with movement but not breathing or coughing. The ribs themselves don't hurt when I palpate the area but I do a lot of guarding of the area in fear of pain. The ribs on the left side just below the sternum are raised and appears as if something is pushing it up.

Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. From your description I would be concerned that you have a possible enlargement of the spleen. This can occur with certain types of infection and would be consistent with your low grade fever. This should not be an emergency and you should be able to wait to see your doctor unless your symptoms progress. He can determine if it is an enlarged spleen with a simple ultrasound. If it is in fact your spleen is enlarged then you would have to undergo a complete evaluation to determine a cause.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If i wait a week to see my doctor could there be a risk of rupture? and what would be considered progressing?
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
If the mass becomes larger or more painful that would be an indication to seek medical attention sooner. If it remains as you have just described should be able to wait a week to see your doctor. Any progression should cause you to see evaluation sooner.

Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.